Men's Lacrosse

Home of 23 USILA All-Americans & 4 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Poets hold on for 11-10 win over Carthage

Poets hold on for 11-10 win over Carthage

Photo by: Tony Leon/

KENOSHA, WI – The Whittier College Men's Lacrosse team kept their winning streak intact Friday evening battling the elements as they used a late fourth quarter goal to hold off the Carthage Red Men 11-10 at Art Keller Field.

Whittier improves to 8-2 and earns their fifth straight victory, while Carthage falls to 5-7, 0-1 CCIW.

Whittier found themselves in unfamiliar territory once snow hit the ground at halftime.  The drizzling snow and cold temperatures put the advantage in the Red Men's favor but the elements didn't throw off the Poets.

They took an early 2-0 lead from Matt Symes (Coquitlam, BC, Canada), and Aaron Self (San Clemente, Calif.) in the first ten minutes of the frame.  CC would come down capitalizing off an errant pass getting their first goal of the game at the 4:54 mark getting one past freshman keeper Dakota Turgeon (Bellingham, WA) moving the score to 2-1.

Whittier took two goal leads twice in the second quarter behind Symes and Maxwell Jones (Fircrest, WA) but three unanswered from Carthage in the final 3:00, which included a buzzer beater from Jared Ferrell would put them on top 6-5 at the half.

The snow did not prove a factor in the third quarter as a combined nine goals were scored.  Freshman Ian Leek (Valley Center, Calif.) got the Purple & Gold off and running to begin the quarter with an unassisted goal.  He then fed Jonathan Kassity (San Clemente, Calif.) for the equalizer two minutes later and would immediately put WC on top 8-7 capitalizing on a man-up soon after.

Ashton Pieris (Burien, WA) would get into the scoring column with 2:16 to play that again gave Whittier a one goal advantage and the lead soon stretched to two on the very next possession from senior faceoff specialist Scott Pescheret (Eagan, MN) who took the ground ball and added his first of the game off the face-off.

But again the Red Men didn't back down adding the final two strikes of the quarter that dead locked the game at 10-10 into the final 15:00.

In the fourth, the snow proved to be a factor for both teams as the slippery surface began to take its toll.  But Symes was able to fight through the elements adding the game-winner with 5:43 to play.

Symes finished with four goals on the game.  Leek had two goals and two assists.  Pescheret finished with eight groundballs and was 20-24 on faceoffs.  

Between the posts Turgeon picked up the win finishing with five saves against 15 shots.