Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
Whittier, Calif. – The Whittier College men's tennis team dropped their second straight match in as many days as they fell 8-1 in their second SCIAC contest to the Stags of Claremont-M-S Saturday morning.
Whittier now drops to 9-6, 0-2 SCIAC, while Claremont-M-S improves to 11-6, 2-0 SCIAC.
The number one doubles team of Julian Seneviratne and Patricio Carregha broke serve late to even the match up at 6-6 but it wasn't enough as they got broken at 7-7 eventually dropping the 9-7 decision.
Freshman Shogo Shimizu continues to impress as he wins his third straight match in singles at No. 6 all over Nationally Ranked opponents. He dropped the first set 6-1 to Zhenya Penenerzin but stormed back to take the second set 6-2 and the third set super tiebreaker 10-8. He now improves his singles record to 8-5.
Senior Carregha took No. 2 Robbie Errani, the former ITA Fall winner the distance. Patricio came up lame late in the super tiebreaker though with a knee injury which hindered his movement and chances to close the match.
Junior Seneviratne played a solid match at No. 1 over Stag freshman Warren Wood who hails from San Diego, Calif. but it wasn't enough as he dropped the 6-2, 6-4 decision.
Whittier returns to the court as they welcome in Gustavus Adolfus on Tuesday, April 3 beginning at 3pm before they begin SCIAC play on Friday April 6 and Saturday April 7 against Occidental College and Caltech.
1. N. Marino/W. Wood (CMS) def. P. Carreha/J. Seneviratne (WC) 9-7
2. N. Kotrappa/B. Wei (CMS) def. A. Hansen/C. Schommer (WC) 8-3
3. V. Chien/R. Erani (CMS) def. M. Herron/S.Shimizu (WC) 8-4
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Julian Senviratne (WC) 6-2, 6-4
2. Robbie Erani (CMS) def. Patricio Carregha (WC) 4-6, 7-5 (10-5)
3. Nick Marino (CMS) def. Chris Schommer (WC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Matt Herron (WC) 6-4, 6-3
5. Neel Kotrappa (CMS) def. Andy Hansen (WC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Shogo Shimizu (WC) def. Zhenya Penenerzin (CMS) 1-6, 6-2 (10-8)