Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
WHITTIER, Calif. – The Whittier College men's tennis team again got up early after doubles but was unable to pull off the upset victory over the No. 14 Bulldogs of the University of Redlands falling 5-4 Saturday morning.
Whittier now drops to 11-8, 2-3 SCIAC, while Redlands improves to 15-5, 3-1 SCIAC.
The Poets got things started in doubles play as they took two of three sets away from the Bulldogs to take an early 2-1 lead.
The Purple & Gold were led in doubles by the freshman duo of Matthew Herron and Shogo Shimizu who continue to impress at No. 3 doubles as they cruised to the 8-2 victory to give the Poets their first point on the day.
In singles play Redlands fought their way back and took four of six singles matches to edge out the Poets, while Whittier's lone wins came at No. 5 where Hansen got back on track in singles competition with a 6-4, 6-1 victory, while Schommer avenged last year's loss in the Ojai Championships to Mark Bloom at No. 3 singles pulling out a three setter 2-6, 6-4, 10-4.
Herron at No. 4 had an opportunity to serve out the first set up 5-4 but dropped the next two games allowing his opponent Anish Nanda to pull off the 7-5, 6-1 victory.
Whittier looks to get back on track after having a golden opportunity to upset the Bulldogs as they begin preparing to take on Chapman University this coming Friday, April 20 beginning at 2pm at the Anaheim Hills Racquet Club.
1. Lipscomb/Bloom (UR) def. Senevirante/Carregha (WC) 8-6
2. Hansen/Schommer (WC) def. Cummins/Jones (UR) 8-6
3. Herron/Shimizu (WC) def. Liconn/Glore (UR) 8-2
1. Patrick Lipscomb (UR) def. Julian Seneviratne (WC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Nick Cummins (UR) def. Patricio Carregha (WC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Chris Schommer (WC) def. Mark Bloom 2-6, 6-4, (10-4)
4. Anish Nanda (UR) def. Matt Herron (WC) 7-5, 6-1
5. Andy Hansen (WC) def. Darren Dahl (UR) 6-1, 6-4
6. Taylor Hunt (UR) def. Shogo Shimizu (WC) 6-1, 6-1