Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
ORANGE, Calif.- The Whittier College men's tennis team left little doubt in the minds of their fans in attendance at the Anaheim Hills Raqcuet Club as they rolled to a 9-0 sweep of the Panthers of Chapman University Friday afternoon earning their third win in their last four matches.
Whittier now improves to 12-8, 2-3 SCIAC with one final regular season match to go against Cal Lutheran University which is set to take place tomorrow morning, Saturday, April 21 in Thousand Oaks, Calif. beginning at 10am.
In last year's matchup against Chapman the Poets were unable to finish the match due to inclement weather despite leading when it was called but finished where they left off as they stormed out to a 3-0 lead after doubles winning 8-3, 8-5, and 8-6 at No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3, each respectively.
Chapman who was coming into the contest ranked No. 14 in the West Region compared to Whittier who came in at No. 8 had no answer for the firepower and depth of the Poet lineup.
Junior Julian Seneviratne who is ranked No. 8 in the West Region in singles used pummeling groundstrokes and precise serving to dismantle the No. 17 ranked player Justin Thompson 6-0, 6-0.
Sophomore Chris Schommer took on Andre Herd at No. 3 singles and used a break of serve in each set to win convincingly 6-4, 6-3.
- J. Seneviratne/P. Carregha (WC) def. D. Tevlin/A. Klein (CU) 8-3
- C. Schommer/A. Hansen (WC) def. J. Thompson/C. Williams (CU) 8-5
- M. Herron/S. Shimizu (WC) def. A. Herd/K. Coates (CU) 8-6
- Julian Seneviratne (WC) def. Justin Thompson (CU) 6-0, 6-0
- Patricio Carregha (WC) def. D. Tevlin (CU) 6-3, 6-3
- Chris Schommer (WC) def. Andre Herd (CU) 6-4, 6-3
- Matt Herron (WC) def. A. Klein (CU) 6-0, 6-2
- Andy Hansen def. K. Coates (CU) 6-2, 6-2
- Shogo Shimizu (WC) def. K. Smyth (CU) 6-4, 6-2