No. 25 Poets drop regular season finale 8-1 to No. 5 Kingsmen
Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The Whittier College men's tennis team dropped their final regular season matchup against the Kingsmen of Cal Lutheran University who are ranked No. 5 in the nation.
Whittier finishes the regular season 12-9, 2-4 SCIAC but look to make another push during the SCIAC Championships set to take place on May 4 and 5 hosted by Redlands University.
The Purple & Gold got down early 3-0 after doubles despite getting a strong performance from the No. 3 doubles pairing of freshman Matthew Herron and Shogo Shimizu who were unable to capitalize late to pull even in the match, ultimately falling 8-6.
Going into singles competition down 3-0 against a team like Cal Lutheran is a daunting task for any team and they proved why they are No. 5 nationally as they took five of six singles matches in straight sets.
At No. 1, junior Julian Seneviratne had his hands full with Nick Ballou who is ranked No. 14 nationally falling 6-0, 6-4, while Justin Wilson avenged his two losses from last year to Patricio Carregha winning in straight sets Saturday morning 6-4, 6-3.
Whittier's lone win came at No. 6 singles where Shimizu pulled out a three setter over a fellow Weil Tennis Academy Player in Marcelo Sousa. Shimizu cruised to the 6-0 victory in the first set but dropped the second set 6-4 before pulling off the 10-5 win the third set super tiebreaker.
The Poets now begin preparing for the Ojai Championships which will take place this coming week on April 27 and 28 in Oxnard, Calif.
#14 Nick Ballou (CLU) def. Julian Seneviratne (WC) 6-0, 6-4
2. Justin Wilson (CLU) def. Patricio Carregha (WC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Ray Worley (CLU) def. Chris Schommer (WC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Connor Treacy (CLU) def. Matthew Herron (WC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Thomas Millet (CLU) def. Andrew Hansen (WC) 6-4, 6-1
6. Shogo Shimizu (WC) def. Marcelo Sousa (CLU) 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
1. #2 Nick Ballou/Ray Worley (CLU) def. Julian
Seneviratne/Patricio Carregha (WC) 8-4
2. Justin Wilson/Connor Treacy (CLU) def. Andrew Hansen/Chris Schommer (WC) 8-2
3. Thomas Millet/Marcelo Sousa (CLU) def. Matthew Herron/Shogo Shimizu (WC) 8-6