Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
WHITTIER, Calif. – The Whittier College men's tennis team dropped their second straight match Saturday afternoon as they fell 6-3 to No. 7 Case Western Reserve.
In singles Chris Schommer and Herron got back on track after falling to Villanova on Thursday afternoon. After a straights set victory for Herron at No. 4 6-2, 6-1, Schommer followed with a three set victory winning 6-4, 0-6, 6-4 giving the Poets their third point on the afternoon.
At No. 5 singles, freshman Samuel Farmer saw match point opportunities in a third set tiebreaker that would have evened the match at four but he was unable to capitalize off either falling 6-2, 3-6, 6-7 (6).
"We showed we can play with anyone in the country today," said Bojalad, "We have much work to do in improving overall character and emotional control in pressure situations. This will be a major focus of this team from here on out."
Whittier returns to the court this Tuesday, March 9 when they host No. 23 Swarthmore beginning at 3:00pm.
1. J. Seneviratne/D. Konstantinov (WC) def. J. Healey/N. Howe (CW) 8-5
2. K. Gerber/C. Krimbill (CW) def. C. Schommer/A. Hansen (WC) 8-3
3. A. Solove/R. Brusting (CW) def. M.Herron/S. Shimizu (WC) 9-8(3)
1. C. Krimbill (CW) def. J. Seneviratne (WC) 6-2, 3-6 6-2
2. W. Dougas (CW) def. David Konstantinov 6-4, 6-4
3. C. Schommer (WC) def. K. Gerber (CW) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
4. M. Herron (WC) def. E. Klawitter (CW) 6-2, 6-1
5. D. Reinbold (CW) def. S. Farmer (WC) 6-2, 3-6, 7-6(6)
6. H. Smith (CW) def. B. Brynteson (WC) 6-1, 6-2