Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
WHITTIER, Calif. – The Whittier College men's tennis team continues to remain hot in Div. III action winning their second straight match and their second straight against a Div. III foe rolling past the Fords of Haverford College Thursday afternoon 9-0.
Whittier is now 4-3 and wrap up their home stand with a 2-2 record. Haverford who was ranked No. 8 in the Atlantic South Region was unable to compete with the high powered Poets on the afternoon after they were swept across the board. Whittier opened the match up with a clean sweep in doubles winning 8-6, 8-4, 8-6 at No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3, each respectively.
The Poets didn't stop there though as they rolled through singles in straight sets at each position. Julian Seneviratne found himself in the toughest match on the afternoon taking on Kevin Caufield who was ranked No. 22 in the nation in singles and No. 6 in his region. But Seneviratne prevailed in straight sets winning 6-4, 7-6 (3).
Freshman David Konstantinov found himself matched up with another ranked opponent in Luis Acaba who came in ranked No. 17 in the Atlantic South Region but Konstantinov was able to cruise to the straight sets win 6-1, 6-4.
Sophomore Matthew Herron also saw a milestone reached on the afternoon as he has now won his third straight match and his third straight in straight sets.
Whittier travels to Honolulu, HI for Spring Break over the next four days where they will take on Washington (Mo.), Hawaii Hilo, and Whitman. Washington (Mo.) is ranked No. 16 and Whitman is No. 13.
1. Julian Seneviratne (WC) def. Kevin Caulfield (HAVMTN) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
2. David Konstantinov (WC) def. Luis Acaba (HAVMTN) 6-1, 6-4
3. Chris Schommer (WC) def. Matt Romei (HAVMTN) 7-5, 6-1
4. Matthew Herron (WC) def. Andy Dougherty (HAVMTN) 6-3, 6-2
5. Samuel Farmer (WC) def. Zack Mason (HAVMTN) 6-1, 6-2
6. Shogo Shimizu (WC) def. Matthew Cebul (HAVMTN) 6-0, 6-0
1. #12 David Konstantinov/Julian Seneviratne (WC) def. Danny Himelstein/Kevin Caulfield (HAVMTN) 8-6
2. Andrew Hansen/Chris Schommer (WC) def. Matt Romei/Matthew Cebul (HAVMTN) 8-4
3. Bo Brynteson/Matthew Herron (WC) def. Luis Acaba/Sloan Millman (HAVMTN) 8-6