Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
WHITTIER, Calif. – The Whittier College men's tennis team continues to affirm their No. 26 ranking in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Division III polls as they put together a dominating performance over the Tigers of DePauw University on the Richard Ettinger Tennis Courts Monday afternoon.
Julian Seneviratne and freshman David Konstantinov continue with their strong doubles play as they earned their third straight doubles victory cruising to the 8-4 win at No. 1 improving their record to 12-1 on the season.
Both No. 2 and No. 3 teams came from being down a break in their respective matches with sophomore duo Shogo Shimizu and Matthew Herron pulling out a 9-7 victory late, while Chris Schommer and Andrew Hansen played clutch tennis at the end of their proset breaking at 6-6 and then holding serve at love to help the Purple & Gold come away with the sweep in doubles.
The Poets continued with their dominance in singles taking five of six positions despite having three matches go the distance. Seneviratne continues with his strong singles play as he cruised to the 6-0, 6-4 victory at No. 1 running his singles record to 9-4. Konstantinov kept his winning streak alive at eight after he pulled out a tough 6-7 (10), 6-2, 11-9 victory over Kopecky at No. 2 that now runs his singles record to 10-3.
Junior Schommer clinched the match for the Purple & Gold on the afternoon at No. 3 as he pulled out the 6-4, 6-2 victory moving him back to .500 at 6-6. Freshman Samuel Farmer at No. 5 was the other Poet who pulled out his match in straight sets as he got late breaks in both sets to win 6-4, 7-5 behind big serving and strong groundstrokes.
Herron who continues to play strong tennis as of late moved to 7-5 on the season after pulling out a hard fought 4-6, 6-3, 13-11 three setter that got the Poets their 8th point on the afternoon. Hansen had the final match for Whittier at No. 6 who was playing in place of Shimizu who was nursing a back injury. Hansen who was playing in his fifth match of the season after dropping the opening set 7-5, bounced back to win 6-4 in the second but couldn't hold on in the super tiebreaker as he fell 12-10.
1. #12 Julian Seneviratne/David Konstantinov (WC) def. Miles/Kopecky (DEPAUW) 8-4
2. Andrew Hansen/Chris Schommer (WC) def. Moss/Garlock (DEPAUW) 8-6
3. Matthew Herron/Shogo Shimizu (WC) def. Bertolini/Kaczkowski (DEPAUW) 9-7
1. Julian Seneviratne (WC) def. Miles (DEPAUW) 6-0, 6-4
2. David Konstantinov (WC) def. Kopecky (DEPAUW) 6-7 (8-10), 6-2, 11-9
3. Chris Schommer (WC) def. Bertolini (DEPAUW) 6-4, 6-2
4. Matthew Herron (WC) def. Moss (DEPAUW) 4-6, 6-3, 13-11
5. Samuel Farmer (WC) def. Garlock (DEPAUW) 6-4, 7-5
6. Kaczkowski (DEPAUW) def. Andrew Hansen (WC) 7-5, 4-6, 12-10