Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
WHITTIER, Calif. – The Whittier College men's tennis team bounced back from their loss to No. 11 Redlands Friday afternoon to sweep the Beavers of Caltech 9-0 Saturday morning.
For the second straight match the Poets were without freshman David Konstantinov who was out nursing an ankle injury but his teammates picked him up by sweeping doubles surrendering a mere five games before taking all six singles matches in straight sets.
Julian Seneviratne was forced to once again play with freshman Samuel Farmer due to the injury to Konstantinov at No. 1 doubles but they were untested as they rolled to the 8-2 victory. Andrew Hansen and Chris Schommer once again paced the doubles lineup cruising to the 8-1 victory at No. 2 before Sophomore Shogo Shimizu teamed up with freshman Bo Brynteson to win 8-2 at No. 3.
After going up 3-0 the Poets continued with their aggressive play in singles led by junior Charlie Wyatt who picked up his first win of the season winning in three sets 3-6, 6-2, 10-5 over JD Co Reyes at No. 6.
He was joined by Frank Sun who got back to his winning ways by cruising past Alex Henry at No. 4 6-2, 6-0. Farmer who got bumped into the No. 3 slot saw his serve untouched as he went on to win 6-3, 6-3 before Matthew Herron got his first taste at No. 2 singles for the first time in his collegiate career winning 7-5, 6-1 over Rushikesh Joshi.
The Poets return to the courts when they travel to Orange, Calif. to take on the Panthers of Chapman University on Friday, March 5 with doubles set to begin at 2:00pm at the Anaheim Hills Tennis Center.
1. J. Seneviratne/S. Farmer (WC) def. D. Joshi/L. Mernik (Catltech) 8-2
2. C. Schommer/A. Hansen (WC) def. A. Kamat/R. Joshi (Caltech) 8-1
3. S. Shimizu/B. Brynteson (WC) def. J. Reyes/I. Mehta (Caltech) 8-2
1. Julian Seneviratne (WC) def. Devashish Joshi (Caltech) 6-0, 6-1
2. Matt Herrron (WC) def. Rushikesh Joshi (Caltech) 7-5, 6-1
3. Sam Farmer (WC) def. Luka Mernik (Caltech) 6-3, 6-3
4. Frank Sun (WC) def. Alex Henry (Caltech) 6-2, 6-0
5. Bo Brynteson (WC) def. Amol Kamat (Caltech) 6-1, 6-2
6. Charlie Wyatt (WC) def. JD Co Reyes (Caltech) 3-6, 6-2 (10-5)