Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
ORANGE, Calif. – The Whittier College men's tennis team despite hearing of the passing of senior dual sport athlete Alyssa Sialaris was able to defeat the Panthers of Chapman University 8-1 at the Anaheim Hills Tennis Center Friday afternoon winning their second straight.
Whittier controlled the match from start to finish taking two of three doubles before sweeping singles winning their second straight SCIAC match improving to 3-1 within conference play.
Freshman David Konstantinov returned to the starting lineup after suffering an injury that sat him for the last couple of matches but he showed he was back to 100% taking No. 1 doubles with senior Julian Seneviratne by the score of 8-2 before cruising past Kyle Coates at No. 2 singles 6-4, 6-1 keeping his winning streak alive at nine.
Chapman fought back though at No. 2 doubles taking an 8-5 victory against Andrew Hansen and Chris Schommer to even the match at one but the No. 3 duo of Shogo Shimizu and Matthew Herron gave the Poets the 2-1 advantage winning 8-3.
In singles it was all Whittier as they took all six singles spots in straight sets. Led by Herron who now runs his SCIAC record to 4-0 after winning 6-0, 6-2 over Nick Mulfur at No. 4. He was joined by freshman Samuel Farmer at No. 5 who cruised to the 6-1, 6-0 victory before Hansen wrapped up the bottom portion of the singles lineup with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Chris Williams.
Seneviratne and Schommer ran into tests at No. 1 and No. 3 winning their first sets 7-5 before pulling out late breaks in the second sets to help the Purple & Gold pull off the sweep in singles.
Whittier returns to the courts this morning as they take on the Kingsmen of Cal Lutheran University who come in ranked No. 4 in the country. Match is scheduled for 10:00am in Thousand Oaks, Calif.
1. Seneviratne/Konstantinov (WC) def. Akin/Buford (CU) 8-2
2. K. Coates/C. Williams (CU) def. Hansen/Schommer (WC) 8-5
3. M. Herron/S. Shimizu (WC) def. E. Wilson/W. Mulfur (CU) 8-3
1. Julian Seneviratne (WC) def. Troy Akin (CU) 7-5, 6-3
2. David Konstantinov (WC) def. Kyle Coates (CU)
3. Chris Schommer (WC) def. Brett Buford (CU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Matt Herron (WC) def. Nick Mulfur (CU 6-0, 6-2
5. Sam Farmer (WC) def. Sam Farzani (CU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Andy Hansen (WC) def. Chris Williams 6-2, 6-3