Poets fail to hold 2-1 lead to No. 1 Claremont-M-S; Fall 7-2
Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
WHITTIER, Calif. – The Whittier College men's tennis team for the second straight match was tested against a nationally ranked opponent and for the second straight match the Purple & Gold pushed their opponent to the brink falling 7-2 to No. 1 Claremont-M-S Saturday morning.
If you look at the score it looks like a lopsided loss for the Poets but in actuality the Poets pushed the Stags taking an early 2-1 lead after doubles before making it a match in singles with No. 1 and No. 2 singles going the distance.
The No. 12 team of Julian Seneviratne and David Konstantinov came away with their biggest victory of the season this morning avenging their ITA Fall Regional Finals loss by upsetting the No. 3 nationally ranked doubles team of Warren Wood and Joe Dorn 8-6 before the No. 2 duo of Andrew Hansen and Chris Schommer pulled out the 9-7 victory over Skyler Butts and Neil Kotrappa that gave the Poets an early advantage going into singles play.
Konstantinov who still isn't 100% took part in his first real singles match in weeks and came up short to No. 7 and Vanderbilt transfer Dorn falling 0-6, 6-2, 4-6. Seneviratne who continues to make a name for himself in the Whittier College tennis record books took part in the match of the day and maybe the match of the year against No. 2 Wood at No. 1 singles. After falling 6-7(5) in the first set, Seneviratne fought back to take the second set in a tiebreaker 7-6 (5) but fell short in the third set supertiebreaker 13-11 dropping his record to 11-8.
Freshman Samuel Farmer played tough at No. 5 forcing the first set into a tiebreaker 7-6(2) but was unable to come back in the second falling 6-2.
Whittier looks to get back to their winning ways as they travel to Occidental College this Friday afternoon, April 19 when they take on the Tigers beginning at 2:00pm.
1. Seneviratne/Konstantinov (WC) def. Wood/Dorn (CMS) 8-6
2. Schommer/Hansen (WC) def. Butts/Kotrappa (CMS) 9-7
3. Marino/Lane (CMS) def. Herron/Shimizu (WC) 8-5
1. Warren Wood (CMS) def. Julian Seneviratne (WC) 7-6(5), 6-7(5), (13-11)
2. Joe Dorn (CMS) def. David Konstantinov (WC) 6-0, 2-6, 6-4
3. Nick Marino (CMS) def. Chris Schommer (WC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Alex Lane (CMS) def. Matt Herron (WC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Skyler Butts (CMS) def. Sam Farmer (WC) 7-6(2), 6-2
6. Alex Johnson (CMS) def. Andy Hansen (WC) 6-0, 6-1