Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – The Whittier College men's tennis team bounced back after their 7-2 loss to Claremont-M-S to route the Tigers of Occidental College 9-0 Friday afternoon staying in contention for 3rd place in the SCIAC standings.
Whittier who needed to beat Oxy by a score of 8-1 along with seeing Pomona-Pitzer beat Redlands to clinch the No. 3 seed in the SCIAC Championships did their part by winning 9-0.
The Poets jumped out in front by grabbing wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles but ran into a tight match at No. 3. Shogo Shimizu and Matthew Herron found themselves down a break 7-6 but pulled out the ensuing break in the clutch to stay in the match before winning 7-3 in a tiebreaker 9-8(3) to help Whittier sweep doubles.
In singles, Whittier continued with their dominating play by taking four of the six singles matches in straight sets, while Julian Seneviratne and David Konstantinov pulled out three setters to clinch the sweep.
Seneviratne and Konstantinov won with identical sets 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 at No. 1 and No. 2 in their respective matches with Seneviratne defeating a DePaul University transfer in Joshua Dancu to improve to 12-7 in singles play.
Whittier wraps up their 2013 season 10-9, 4-3 SCIAC play and now look towards the Ojai Tennis Championships on April 26 & 27.
1. Seneviratne/Konstantinov (WC) def. Dancu/Brown (OXY) 8-3
2. Schommer/Hansen (WC) def. Siebs/Perkins (OXY) 8-6
3. Herron/Shimzu (WC) def. Howard/Cotton (OXY) 9-8 (3)
1. Julian Senviratne (WC) def. Joshua Dancu (OXY) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
2. David Konstantinov (WC) def. Steve Perkins (OXY)6-4, 2-6, 6-3
3. Chris Schommer (WC) def. Jordan Brown (OXY) 6-2, 6-4
4. Matt Herron (WC) def. Kevin Siebs (OXY) 6-4, 6-3
5. Sam Farmer (WC) def. David Cotton (OXY) 6-3, 6-3
6. Andy Hansen (WC) def. Jesse Kreger (OXY) 6-4, 6-1