Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
WHITTIER, Calif. – The Whittier College Men's Tennis team held on for the 6-3 win over Vassar College Wednesday as they remain hot winning their third straight match and their fifth overall on the season.
Whittier took over the match and made their presence felt after sweeping doubles competition. Andrew You (Arcadia, Calif.) and Thomas Koszowski (Denver, CO) got the first point on the afternoon with an 8-3 win at No. 1. Troy Chavez (Temecula, Calif.) and Chris Palacio (El Centro, Calif.) picked up the second soon after winning 8-3 at No. 3 and Hunter Kettering (Pleasanton, Calif.) and Elmer Van Butselaar (Veenendaal, Netherlands) cleaned up by edging Allen Sokolov and Jeremy Auh 8-7.
Vassar threatened in singles by winning three matches at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 6. But it was the middle of the order that got the job done. Van Butselaar continues to roll in singles taking another straight sets match with a 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 3.
Kettering and Palacio needed three setters to take the 5th and 6th points. Kettering wining 6-4, 2-6, 6-3, while Palacio needed to claw back from a set down to win 2-6, 6-4, 6-3, while picking up a break in each set.
Freshman Zachary Ambrosio (Moreno Valley, Calif.) was the other match that went the distance. After losing the first set 6-1 was able to fight back to level the match with a 6-3 win at No. 2 before falling in a third set tiebreaker 7-6 (0).
1. Nick Litsky (VCMT) def. You (WHITTIER) 6-3, 6-2
2. Allen Sokolov (VCMT) def. T. Koszowski (WHITTIER) 6-4, 6-2
3. Van Butselaar (WHITTIER) def. Juan Felipe Laso (VCMT) 6-4, 6-1
4. Kettering (WHITTIER) def. Jamie Anderson (VCMT) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
5. Palacio (WHITTIER) def. Jeremy Auh (VCMT) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Alexander Luckmann (VCMT) def. Ambrosio (WHITTIER) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (7-0)