Poets win fourth straight; Defeat Pacific 7-2
Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
ORLANDO, Fl. – The Whittier College women's tennis team competed in their second match on Spring Break in Orlando, Fl. and came away with a 7-2 victory over Pacific University earning their fourth straight win.
Whittier now moves their record to 6-5 one game over .500, while Pacific University drops to 6-8, 5-4 Conf.
In a matchup that had regional rankings at stake fell in the Poets favor as they knocked off the Boxers who came into the match ranked No. 12 in the west region.
Again for the second straight match Poets head coach David Bojalad went to his bench in order for some of his starters to conserve energy during the four day four match trip to Florida.
The Purple & Gold jumped out in front after doubles grabbing a 2-1 lead. Senior Kady Oliker and freshman Benay Weintraub at No. 3 cruised to the 8-1 victory, while sophomore Adrienne Hamada and freshman Rachel Sugiyama teamed up to pull off the 8-3 win at No. 2.
Serylo found herself in her first tough contest on spring break as she lost to Cat Goya who is ranked No. 18 in the West Region in singles. Goya accounted for both points won for Pacific but it wasn't enough as Whittier cruised to the 7-2 upset win.
Up next for Whittier comes Rollins who is ranked nationally in Div. III at No. 10 giving the Poets another opportunity at knocking off a ranked opponent.
1. C. Goya/R. Mizuno (PU) def. L. Serylo/C. Dredge (WC) 8-5
2. A. Hamada/R. Sugiyama (WC) def. A. Craviotto/K. Lack (PU) 8-3
3. K. Oliker/B. Weitraub (WC) def. M. Dang/R. Palmer 8-1
1. Cat Goya (PU) def. Liliana Serylo (WC) 6-0, 6-4
2. Chloe Dredge (WC) def. Rachel Mizuno (PU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. Amber Craviotta (PU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Benay Weintraub (WC) def. Kelsey Lack (PU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Lauren Gelgur (WC) def. Mary Dang (PU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Rachel Aelion-Moss (WC) def. Rachel Palmer (PU) 6-3, 6-2