Poets grab first SCIAC victory over Occidental 6-3
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – The Whittier College women's tennis team snapped their two match losing streak earning themselves their first SCIAC victory of the season 6-3 over the Tigers of Occidental College Friday afternoon.
Whittier now improves to 7-6, 1-2 SCIAC, while Occidental drops to 5-7, 0-3 SCIAC.
For the seventh time this season the Poets have swept doubles competition as they cruised to 8-3 and 8-2 victories at No. 1 and No. 3, each respectively, while the No. 2 team of Adrienne Hamada and Rachel Sugiyama grabbed a late break to hold onto the 8-6 victory helping Whittier take a 3-0 lead into singles play.
At No. 3 singles Hamada continued her sizzling play as of late winning her match in just under an hour 6-2, 6-1 earning her, her fifth win of the season.
Chloe Dredge, who comes into the match the most consistent performer for the Poets this year, won the big point in the latter stages of each set, to prevail 6-4, 7-5 giving the Poets their fourth point on the afternoon.
Then at No. 6 Lauren Gelgur who continues to remain hot in singles play clinched the fifth and deciding point for the Poets cruising to the 6-2, 6-2 win earning her, her sixth victory in a row in singles play.
Whittier like the men will host the Beavers of the California Institute of Technology tomorrow, Saturday, April 7 beginning at 10am seeking their eighth win on the season.
1. L. Serylo/C. Dredge (WC) def. K. Subbiah/R. Buckner (Oxy) 8-3
2. A. Hamada/R. Sugiyama (WC) def. F. Hutton/Washstein (Oxy) 8-6
3. K. Oliker/B Weintraub (WC) def. S. Charney/K. Gould (Oxy) 8-2
1. Kris Subbiah (Oxy) def. Liliana Serylo (WC) 6-2, 6-0
2. Chloe Dredge (WC) def. Rachel Buckner (OXY) 6-4, 7-5
3. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. Frances Hutton (Oxy) 6-2, 6-1
4. Katrine Gould (Oxy) def. Kady Oliker (WC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Sara Charney (Oxy) def. Benay Weintraub (WC) 6-3, 7-5
6. Lauren Gelgur (WC) def. Amber Gadsden (Oxy) 6-2, 6-2