Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
THOUSAND OAKS, CALIF. – The Whittier College women's tennis team split on Day 1 of the SCIAC Championships hosted by Cal Lutheran University dropping a 5-0 decision to Redlands but following that up with a 7-2 victory over Caltech.
The top four seeds all advanced through to the semifinals following 5-0 victories in their opening round matches which included Claremont-M-S, Pomona-Pitzer, Redlands, and Cal Lutheran.
The final round of matches will take place this morning at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 5.
No. 1 CMS vs. No. 2 Pomona-Pitzer (Championship – at CSUN)
No. 3 Redlands vs. No. 4 Cal Lutheran (Third Place – at CLU)
No. 6 Whittier vs. No. 8 Occidental (Fifth Place – at CSUN)
No. 5 La Verne vs. No. 7 Caltech (Seventh Place – at CSUN)
No. 23 Redlands – 5, Whittier – 0
Whittier opened up the SCIAC Championships with a loss to No. 23 Redlands 5-0. The match was played till it was clinched and the Bulldogs only needed two wins in singles after sweeping doubles competition to roll through the Poets in the first round.
1. Jessica Ly (UR) vs. Liliana Serylo (WC) 6-2, 3-0, unfinished
2. Ceara Sumida (UR) vs. Chloe Dredge (WC) 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
3. Paige Press (UR) vs. Adrienne Hamada (WC) 6-2, 2-3, unfinished
4. Maddie Morton (UR) def. Kady Oliker (WC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Julia Pollak (UR) def. Benay Weintraub (WC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Shannon Cassidy (UR) vs. Lauren Gelgur (WC) 6-0, 2-1, unfinished
1. Jessica Ly/Shannon Cassidy (UR) def. Chloe Dredge/Liliana Serylo (WC) 8-2
2. Ceara Sumida/Julia Pollak (UR) def. Adrienne Hamada/Rachel Sugiyama (WC) 8-2
3. Paige Press/Maddie Morton (UR) def. Maryrose Vigorita/Lauren Gelgur (WC) 8-3
Whittier – 7, Caltech – 2
In the second match of the day Whittier took on the Beavers of Caltech and cruised to the 7-2 victory after sweeping doubles play getting 8-1, 8-4, and 8-2 victories at No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3, each respectively.
In singles play Whittier dropped two matches but saw Chloe Dredge , Adrienne Hamada , Kady Oliker , and Lauren Gelgur pull out victories to push Whittier to the victory. Gelgur had the match of the day as she pulled out a three setter over Michelle Lee winning the first set 6-3, then dropping the second 7-5. But in the third set tiebreaker she pulled it out 11-9 to earn herself her eighth win of the season.
1. Rebekah Kitto (CIT) def. Liliana Serylo (WC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Chloe Dredge (WC) def. Wubing Ye (CIT) 6-4, 6-2
3. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. Stephanie Kwan (CIT) 6-4, 6-2
4. Kady Oliker (WC) def. Jessica Yu (CIT) 6-3, 6-1
5. Lauren Gelgur (WC) def. Michelle Lee (CIT) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (11-9)
6. (CIT) def. Maryrose Vigorita (WC) 6-0, 7-6 (7-3)
1. Chloe Dredge/Liliana Serylo (WC) def. Wubing Ye/Stephanie Kwan (CIT) 8-1
2. Adrienne Hamada/Rachel Sugiyama (WC) def. Rebekah Kitto/Jessica Yu (CIT) 8-4
3. Kady Oliker/Benay Weintraub (WC) def. Jessica Yeung/Michelle Lee (CIT) 8-2