Poets finish 5th in SCIAC Championships with 6-3 win over Occidental
Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The Whittier College women's tennis team wrapped up their 2011-12 season with a 5th place finish in the SCIAC Championships by defeating Occidental College 6-3 on the second day of competition.
Claremont-M-S took home the SCIAC Championship Title by defeating Pomona-Pitzer 5-4 before Redlands rolled through Cal Lutheran 9-0 to solidify a 3rd place finish.
Whittier opened up the scoring with a sweep of doubles play winning 8-3, 8-4, and 9-7 at No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, each respectively. Singles proved to be a test for the Poets but they overcame three, three setters to pull out the 6-3 victory. At No. 2 singles sophomore Chloe Dredge dropped her first set 6-4 but fought back to win the second 6-4 before pulling out in the third due to an injury.
Adrienne Hamada who has impressed all season long rolled to a straight sets victory over Frances Hutton 6-0, 6-0 finishing her singles season record at 10-6.
Freshman Rachel Sugiyama fought from being a set down to win in a third set at No. 5. She forced a tiebreaker late in the first but fell 7-1 and then used a break of serve in each of the next two sets to win 6-3, 6-4.
Senior Maryrose Vigorita got her first start in singles on the season playing at No. 6 and played the most exciting match on the day. After she dropped the first set 6-4, she fought from being down 5-2 in the second to win 7-5 rattling off five straight games and that momentum carried over into the third where she won 6-4.
Conference award winners will be selected today at some point and will be released early next week on Monday or Tuesday.
1. Krishnaveni Subbiah (OXY) def. Liliana Serylo (WC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Rachel Buckner (OXY) def. Chloe Dredge (WC) 6-4, 4-6, 4-1, retired
3. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. Frances Hutton (OXY) 6-0, 6-0
4. Katrina Gould (OXY) def. Kady Oliker (WC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Rachel Sugiyama (WC) def. Sara Charney (OXY) 6-7 (1-7), 6-3, 6-4
6. Maryrose Vigorita (WC) def. Amber Gadsden (OXY) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
1. Chloe Dredge/Liliana Serylo (WC) def. Krishnaveni Subbiah/Rachel Buckner (OXY) 8-3
2. Adrienne Hamada/Rachel Sugiyama (WC) def. Frances Hutton/Rachel Washstien (OXY) 8-5
3. Kady Oliker/Benay Weintraub (WC) def. Katrina Gould/Sara Charney (OXY) 9-7