Poets cruise past Hope Int. 8-1 en route to victory
Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
FULLERTON, Calif. – The Whittier College women's tennis team jump started their 2013 season in impressive fashion as they cruised past the Royals of Hope International 8-1 Saturday morning.
Whittier jumped out of the gates quickly in doubles sweeping at No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 giving up a combined six games. Whittier who comes into 2013 with just a seven player roster saw a change in the lineup this season as Freshman Maegan Zamilpa teamed up with junior Liliana Serylo to win8-3 at the top spot. Junior captain Adrienne Hamada teamed up with sophomore Benay Weintraub at No. 2 and rolled past their opponents 8-1 and at No. 3, senior Lauren Gelgur and junior Bree Campanero cruised to the 8-2 victory.
The Poets didn't stop there though as they continued with their dominating performance in singles as Zamilpa rolled past Jasmin Zaragoza 6-0, 6-1 before Gelgur finished up at No. 6 not surrendering a game in straight sets. Campanero who is getting her first taste in the starting lineup after coming off the bench the past two seasons proved to be a force to be reckoned with as she used big serving to win 6-1, 6-0.
Hamada ran into a little test at No. 3 singles but was able to hold onto a break of serve in each set to win 6-3, 6-3. The final two matches came down to Serylo and Weintraub at No. and No. 4. Serylo dropped the first set to Hopes actual No. 1 player Caroline Houston 6-0 before fighting back in the second only to fall short 6-4.
The match of the day though belonged to Weintraub who came from behind to pull out her first win of 2013. The sophomore looked like a different player compared to last season as she stayed in the match both mentally and physically. Her opponent Sabrina Miller held onto a slight advantage in the first set winning 6-4 before Weintraub responded in the second with a 6-2 victory forcing a third set super tiebreaker. But Weintraub was able to jump out in front early and get a mini break late that allowed her to preserve the 10-6 win.
The Poets return home to the Richard Ettinger Tennis Courts as they welcome in Arizona Christian University this Thursday, February 21 with the match set to begin at 3:00pm.
1. Maegan Zamilpa (WC) def. ZARAGOZA, Jasmin (HIU) 6-0, 6-1
2. HOUSTON, Caroline (HIU) def. Liliana Serylo (WC) 6-0, 6-4
3. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jeannette (HIU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Benay Weintraub (WC) def. MILLER, Sabrina (HIU) 4-6, 6-2, 10-6
5. Bree Campanero (WC) def. PRITCHETT, Alyssa (HIU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Lauren Gelgur (WC) def. JIMENEZ, Monique (HIU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Maegan Zamilpa/Liliana Serylo (WC) def. HOUSTON, Caroline/MILLER, Sabrina (HIU) 8-3
2. Adrienne Hamada/Benay Weintraub (WC) def. ZARAGOZA, Jasmin/RODRIGUEZ, Jeannette (HIU) 8-1
3. Bree Campanero/Lauren Gelgur (WC) def. PRITCHETT, Alyssa/JIMENEZ, Monique (HIU) 8-2