Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
WHITTIER, Calif. – The Whittier College women's tennis team continues to impress in 2013 as they rolled past the Firestorm of Arizona Christian University 8-1 Thursday afternoon to improve to 2-0 on the season.
Whittier swept doubles play and won five of six singles matches Thursday afternoon en route to the 8-1 victory in non conference action on the Richard Ettinger Tennis Courts.
The Purple & Gold jumped all over the Firestorm early in doubles as the No. 2 duo of Benay Weintraub and Adrienne Hamada cruised to the 8-0 victory, while Lauren Gelgur and Bree Campanero continues their winning ways at No. 3 holding on for the 8-5 victory.
At No. 1 doubles, freshman Maegan Zamilpa and junior Liliana Serylo jumped out in front 6-3 getting a mini break but saw ACU's team of Lea Souvigne and Jessica Trink win three consecutive games to even the score up at six apiece. Whittier would however go ahead once more 7-6 and had triple match point in the ensuing game but allowed ACU to hold serve to even the score one more time. Zamilpa and Serylo however would rebound and win the next two games to secure the 9-7 win and the sweep in doubles.
In singles action, the Poets continued with their dominating play cruising to straight set victories at No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, No. 5, and No. 6 singles but they fell upon unfortunate times at No. 4 singles when Weintraub was forced to retire due to an ankle injury. Weintraub who faced Souvigne a junior from France had the match of the day and came out firing on all cylinders winning 6-4 in the first set before falling behind 5-2 in the second before she slipped and fell rolling her ankle forcing her to retire giving ACU their lone point on the afternoon.
Whittier returns to the courts when they hit the road for two contests against Pomona-Pitzer on Friday, March 1 and Biola on Sunday, March 3. Match times are set for 2:00pm and 9:30am, each respectively.
1. Meagan Zamilpa (WC) def. TRINK, Jessica (ACU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Liliana Serylo (WC) def. ALS, Taylor (ACU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. LOPEZ, Brianna (ACU) 6-1, 6-2
4. SOUVIGNE, Lea (ACU) def. Benay Weintraub (WC) 4-6, 5-2 ret. (inj.)
5. Brianna Campanero (WC) def. ANAYA, Julia (ACU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lauren Gelgur (WC) def. LEVIN, Tiffany (ACU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Meagan Zamilpa/Liliana Serylo (WC) def. TRINK, Jessica/SOUVIGNE, Lea (ACU) 9-7
2. Adrienne Hamada/Benay Weintraub (WC) def. LOPEZ, Brianna/LEVIN, Tiffany (ACU) 8-0
3. Lauren Gelgur/Brianna Campanero (WC) def. ALS, Taylor/ANAYA, Julia (ACU) 8-5