Poets winning streak snapped with 9-0 loss to Pomona-Pitzer
Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
CLAREMONT, Calif. – The Whittier College women's tennis team saw their two match winning streak snapped Friday afternoon as they fell to No. 12 Pomona-Pitzer by the score of 9-0.
Freshman Maegan Zamilpa who came into the match undefeated in both singles and doubles found a tough test in Sammy Chao. Zamilpa who upset Chao in the Fall ITA's in three sets again pushed the Sagehen No. 1 to the brink falling in a first set tiebreak 7-6 (5) before coming back from being 4-0 down in the second only to fall 6-3.
After getting swept in doubles at No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3 all by the score of 8-2, the Poets battled in singles despite having two players battling a cold. Adrienne Hamada who dropped her first set 6-1 to Mae Coyiuto fought back in the second but was unable to force a third set falling 6-4.
Liliana Serylo found herself matched up at No. 2 singles against Jamie Solomon the former No. 1 player for Pomona-Pitzer but came out of the starting blocks slowly allowing Solomon to take the first set 6-0 and then the second 6-3.
1. CHAO, Sammy (PP) def. Meagan Zamilpa (WC) 7-6 (5), 6-3
2. SOLOMAN, Jamie (PP) def. Liliana Serylo (WC) 6-0, 6-3
3. COYIUTO, Mae (PP) def. Adrienne Hamada (WC) 6-1, 6-4
4. FLEMING, Marie (PP) def. Benay Weintraub (WC) 6-1, 6-1
5. WANG, Kara (PP) def. Brianna Campanero (WC) 6-2, 6-2
6. PADMANOBHAN, Artni (PP) def. Lauren Gelgur (WC) 6-0, 6-0
1. CHAO, Sammy/WANG, Kara (PP) def. Meagan Zamilpa/Liliana Serylo (WC) 8-2
2. FLEMING, Marie/SOLOMAN, Jamie (PP) def. Adrienne Hamada/Benay Weintraub (WC) 8-2
3. PADMANOBHAN, Artni/YEN, L. (PP) def. Lauren Gelgur/Brianna Campanero (WC) 8-2