Poets drop 6-3 matchup with No. 30 Case Western Reserve
Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
WHITTIER, Calif. – The Whittier College women's tennis team dropped their second straight matchup to a nationally ranked opponent Saturday afternoon as they fell 6-3 to the Spartans of Case Western Reserve who came in ranked No. 30.
With the loss the Poets drop to 4-2 on the season, while Case Western Reserve improves to 7-3. The Spartans who fell 7-2 to Redlands earlier in the day traveled from Riverside, Calif. to take on the Purple & Gold late in the afternoon.
Maegan Zamilpa and Liliana Serylo continue to lead the Poets squad as they improved to 5-1 in doubles play as they rolled to the 8-2 win at No. 1, which gave Whittier their first point on the afternoon.
After suffering defeats at No. 2 and No. 3, the Poets moved into singles play where they earned wins from Zamilpa and Adrienne Hamada. Zamilpa made quick work of Sara Zargham winning 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1 before Hamada followed at No. 3 edging Marianne Bonnano 6-3, 6-2 giving the Poets their third and final point on the day.
At No. 4, No. 5, and No. 6 the Poets saw opportunities to get ahead including an opening tiebreaker from Benay Weintraub and two 7-5 setters from Bree Campanero and Lauren Gelgur but in the end the Poets fell in straights allowing the Spartans to hold on for the 6-3 victory.
Whittier returns to action this Friday, March 15 when they host Texas-Dallas with doubles set to begin at 3:00pm.
1. Meagan, Zamilpa (WC) def. ZARGHAM, Sara (CWR) 6-2, 6-1
2. SWEENEY, Taylor (CWR) def. Liliana, Serylo (WC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. BONNANO, Marianne (WCR) 6-3, 6-2
4. DJOHAN, Michelle (WCR) def. Benay, Weintraub (WC) 7-6 (2), 6-2
5. KHADILKAR, Sunya (CWR) def. Brianna, Campanero (WC) 7-5, 6-3
6. EVERS, Kat (WCR) def. Lauren Gelgur (WC) 6-1, 7-5
1. Meagan Zamilpa/Liliana Serylo (WC) def. ZARGHAM, Sara/EVERS, Kat (WCR) 8-2
2. LIM, Erika/DJOHAN, Michelle (WCR) def. Adrienne Hamada/Benay Weintraub (WC) 8-3
3. PHAM, Emily/BONNANO, Marianne (WCR) def. Lauren Gelgur/Brianna Campanero (WC) 8-2