Athena’s prove why their No. 2 in rankings by securing 9-0 sweep
Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
CLAREMONT, Calif. – The Athena's of Claremont-M-S proved why they are No. 2 in the ITA Rankings Saturday morning as they cruised to the clean sweep of the Whittier College Poets dropping the Purple & Gold to 9-7, 2-4 SCIAC.
The No. 1 doubles duo of freshman Maegan Zamilpa and junior Liliana Serylo pushed the Athena No. 1 squad to the brink after trailing 3-0 and then 5-2 before knotting the match up at 5-5 and then 6-6. But despite fighting back, CMS managed to grab a late break and then held for the 8-6 victory.
Senior Lauren Gelgur had the best shot at giving the Poets their lone point on the morning after leading 4-1 and then 5-2 against Victoria Nichols at No. 6 singles but Gelgur was unable to hold on as she fell 7-6 (2), 6-3. She led 3-1 in the second set as well but Nichols managed to rattle off five straight games to keep the sweep intact.
Sophomore Benay Weintraub was the other Poet in singles at No. 4 who fought in a matchup that consisted of break after break but in the end she was unable to take the victory falling 6-3, 6-3 to Yvonne Likomanova.
Whittier returns to action this Friday, April 19 when they host Occidental College on the Richard Ettinger Tennis Courts beginning at 2:00pm.
1. LIM, Kristin/ HALEY, Abby (CMS) def. Meagan Zamilpa/ Liliana Serylo (WC) 8-6
2. LIM, Crystal/ WARD, Caroline (CMS) def. Adrienne Hamada/ Benay Weintraub (WC) 8-1
3. DOBBERT, Chloe/ KUKINO, Sarah (CMS) def. Lauren Gelgur/ Brianna Campanero (WC) 8-1
1. LIM, Kristin (CMS) def. Meagan Zamilpa (WC) 6-0, 6-3
2. HALEY, Abby (CMS) def. Adrienne Hamada (WC) 6-0, 6-1
3. WARD, Caroline (CMS) def. Liliana Serylo (WC) 6-1, 6-0
4. LIKOMANOVA, Yvonne (CMS) def. Benay Weintraub (WC) 6-3, 6-3
5. COUGHLAN, Erin (CMS) def. Brianna Campanero (WC) 6-3, 6-1
6. NICHOLS, Victoria (CMS) def. Lauren Gelgur (WC) 7-6 (2), 6-3