Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
LA VERNE, Calif. – The Whittier College women's tennis team saw their two game winning streak snapped Friday afternoon as they fell 6-3 to the Leopards of the University of La Verne falling to 9-6, 2-3 SCIAC.
Led by freshman Maegan Zamilpa who continues to dominate at No. 1 singles, while the No. 2 team of Adrienne Hamada and Benay Weintraub continue to pace doubles action, the Poets look poised to make a strong run in the SCIAC Championships.
La Verne jumped out in front with two wins in doubles at No 1 and No. 3 and looked like they were going to sweep but Hamada and Weintraub had other plans at No. 2 staying neck and neck with Madrigal and Moncrief pulling out a tight 9-8 (4) victory keeping the poets in the match.
In singles, Whittier's Zamilpa moved her record to 13-2 after she pulled out the match of the day at No. 1 winning 7-6 (4), 0-6, 12-10 improving to 4-1 in SCIAC play. Hamada got bumped into the No. 2 slot for Liliana Serylo but was unable to pull out the win falling 6-3, 6-4 dropping her record to 11-4.
Despite falling at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, Whittier still kept the match close thanks to Bree Campanero at No. 5 singles who cruised to the straight sets victory 6-1, 6-2 that gave the Poets their final point on the afternoon.
Whittier continues with SCIAC play and has three matches remaining on their schedule and they begin with a matchup on the road against No. 1 Claremont-M-S tomorrow, April 13 beginning at 10:00am.
1. LOSARIA, Jeanette/ MATSUDA, Laina (LV) def. Meagan Zamilpa/ Liliana Serylo (WC) 8-5
2. Adrienne Hamada/ Benay Weintraub (WC) def. MADRIGAL, Andrea/ MONCRIEF, Allison (LV) 9-8 (4)
3. SOUCY, Megan/ TUCKER, Carly (LV) def. Lauren Gelgur/ Brianna Campanero (WC) 8-3
1. Meagan Zamilpa (WC) def. MADRIGAL, Andrea (LV) 7-6 (4), 0-6, 12-10
2. LOSARIA, Jeanette (LV) def. Adrienne Hamada (WC) 6-3, 6-4
3. MATSUDA, Laina (LV) def. Liliana Serylo (WC) 6-3, 6-0
4. HINES, Brooke (LV) def. Benay Weintraub (WC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Brianna Campanero (WC) def. MONCRIEF, Allison (LV) 6-1, 6-2
6. TRUJILLO, Shenelle (LV) def. Lauren Gelgur (WC) 6-1, 6-3