Poets finish 2013 regular season with wins over Chapman and Occidental
Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
WHITTIER, Calif. – The Whittier College women's tennis team wrapped up their 2013 regular season schedule with two impressive home wins over Chapman University and Occidental College to finish 11-7, 4-4 SCIAC.
The Poets who finished the 2012 season 10-10, 4-6 SCIAC improved significantly this season despite having just six players.
Match 1 (Chapman, W, 6-3)
Chapman who joined the SCIAC Conference for the first time this season were unable to upend the Purple & Gold this week in a make-up match as Whittier held on for the 6-3 victory. The Poets jumped out in front grabbing wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles by the score of 8-2 in each match but at No. 3, Lauren Gelgur and Bree Campanero were unable to hold on late falling 8-5 to Sophia Duong and Anna Nelson.
CU mounted a comeback in singles winning two matches at No. 3 and No. 5 but it wouldn't be enough as the rest of the Poet lineup would cruise to straight set victories led by Meagan Zamilpa who rolled past Andrea Hammer at No. 1 6-0, 6-2.
1. Meagan Zamilpa/ Liliana Serylo (WC) def. HAMMER, Andrea/KLEBENOW, Kelley (CU) 8-2
1. Meagan Zamilpa (WC) def. HAMMER, Andrea (CU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. DUONG, Sophia (CU) 7-5, 6-4
3. KLEBENOW, Kelley (CU) def. Liliana, Serylo (WC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Benay Weintraub (WC) def. NELSON, Anna (CU) 6-4, 6-2
5. KUBETSCHEK, Arielle (CU) def. Brianna Campanero (WC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Lauren Gelgur (WC) def. McDONALD, Sara (CU) 6-1, 6-1
Match 2 (Occidental, W, 7-2)
In their final match of 2013, the Poets hosted the Tigers of Occidental College but were forced to play without lone senior Gelgur who suffered a neck injury a couple days ago putting Oxy in front 2-0 early due to the Poets having just five players.
But being down a player did not affect the Poet's as they would win the next seven matches en route to the 7-2 victory.
In one of their quickest matches of the season the Poets only needed a couple hours to defeat the Tigers Friday afternoon. Whittier surrendered a mere three games in doubles to take a 2-1 lead into singles play and then used straight set victories from No. 1 to No. 5 singles to clinch the lopsided victory.
Whittier now begins preparing for the Ojai Championships set to take place next weekend on April 26 & 27.
1. Meagan Zamilpa/ Liliana Serylo (WC) def. ERICKSEN, Keilani/ CHARNEY, Sara (Oxy) 8-3
2. Adrienne Hamada/ Benay Weintraub (WC) def. ANDERSON, Catherine/GADSDEN, Amber (Oxy) 8-0
3. Not played due to injury
1. Meagan Zamilpa (WC) def. ERICKSEN, Keilani (Oxy) 6-0, 6-0
2. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. CHARNEY, Sara (Oxy) 7-5, 6-1
3. Liliana, Serylo (WC) def. ANDERSON, Catherine (Oxy) 6-1, 6-1
4. Benay Weintraub (WC) def. GADSDEN, Amber (Oxy) 6-4, 6-0
5. Brianna Campanero (WC) def. MALLOCH, Lucy (Oxy) 6-0, 6-2
6. Not played due to injury